DIY Ring Display



This was one of those finds from the Salvation Army Thrift Store.
You know the kind I'm talking about.  That thing you absolutely HAVE to have, even though you have no idea what in the heck you are going to do with it.

But, unlike many of the things I absolutely HAVE to have, I have only been sitting on this little gem for about 6 months;~)
It looks like it may have been home to a pen set or something similar.


The lid had a recessed area that looked like a plaque or label had been pried up.  It looked pretty rough so I just made sheet out of the tail end of a cane that was headed for the scrap bag, and covered that area.

Next I had to figure out what to do with the underside of the lid.  I could have soaked and scrubbed or scraped and sanded to get that label residue off of there but I honestly don't have the patience.

So, I made this in Printshop (I love Printshop!),



and did a little decoupage.


That just left the inside.
I initially over complicated it.
The idea was to glue down the foam strips then cover them with the fabric. 
That turned into such a mess, I won't even show you the photo ;(


When my brain finally kicked in, this is what I came up with.
Sooooooo much easier ☺
I just used glue to wrap each foam strip with the fabric then glued them in place.
Duh....  I hate it when I take the long way around.
But, I really like the way it turned out.
The slots are a little too snug for the polymer rings but the wire wrapped rings fit perfectly.
Now that I've worked out the bugs ( brain farts),  I will make another one that fits the polymer rings a little better.



Comments

  1. Wow I'd never thought of that!

    I've found similar things ... thinking of them as coffins .... Ok go figure my mind... Ok don't....

    Thanks for coming by my blog for the giveaway~: )

    You have a great Blog here!!!!
    : ) Pattee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart idea! Great way to store & show off your rings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for stopping by~ I'll put your name in the virtual hat!
    Hugs~Pattee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One World One Heart 2011

One World One Heart 2010

One World ~ One Heart Giveaway